The Mercury CX with ABCiview are searching for a bold and original concept!
Applicants must be registered delegates of Screenmakers Connect 2020
Pitch-o-rama is a performance style pitching competition giving content creators the opportunity to pitch a bold and original concept for $15,000 in funding and in-kind support from Mercury CX and ABCiview.
We are seeking stories that reflect a unique and distinctive perspective. These may include voices and stories from women, First Nations peoples, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) backgrounds, Deaf or disabled, LGBTQIA+ communities and projects from diverse social, economic regional and cultural perspectives.
Concepts should be designed for release on a short and long form platform, such as iview or social platform channels and may be for a scripted or factual series in any genre including comedy, kids, drama or documentary.
In response to CoVid-19, the event will be held online this year, with each participant given a strict five minutes to engage an industry panel and the audience, so be creative, be memorable and pitch to win!
The creator/s of the winning pitch will receive $10,000 to put towards development costs which may include a proof of concept, writer’s room costs, etc.
The winning team will also receive $5,000 in kind of development consultation services by Mercury CX Executives and will need to deliver within an agreed timeframe. The team will also receive feedback from the relevant ABC TV commissioning team.
N.B Please note that winning Pitch-o-rama does not constitute a formal development agreement with the ABC. Nor does it offer any guarantee that the ABC will offer formal development upon completion or commission the project.
A 30-minute webinar for any questions about the competition and assessment process will be held at 11:00 am on Thursday, 31 July.
Applicants selected to participate will need to be SCREENMAKERS CONNECT 2020 registered delegates.
Projects should be designed as a short or long form scripted or factual series suitable for any ABC platform including social media channels like Facebook and Instagram, and designed to appeal to younger adult audiences (within a classification range of G to MA15+)
Pitches must demonstrate a strong sense of what specific ABC platform the series is best suited to connect with its audience.
Applicants must incorporate their next stage development plan into their pitch i.e. what will they use the $10,000 funding for to reach the next level towards production. May include the development of treatments, pitch documents, series bibles, episode breakdowns, formats, scripts, animation tests and other materials required for advancing the concept. May include pilot episode or proof of concept production if suits the scale of the project.
All applicants must be available to pitch online at the event. The Screenmakers Conference will hold Pitchorama via the online platform Crowd Cast. *Crowd cast is platform similar to zoom and you will be sent a link to join.
- Submissions OPEN on Thursday 16 July 2020.
- Short Info Webinar at 11:00am on Thursday 30th 2020.
- Submissions CLOSE on Monday 10th August at 5:00pm.
- Up to 10 shortlisted projects/teams will be NOTIFIED by Monday 17th August 2020.
- Successful Five-minute pitches to be PRESENTED on Thursday 27th August 2020 10:00am – 12:00pm.
- WINNER ANNOUNCED at the end of the day at the conference 27th July 2020.
- Video material is not allowed at the pitching event; however, props and costumes definitely are.
In addition to standard contact details the applicant must submit the following:
- Proposed duration and number of episodes
- Assignment of rights if not original concept
- 100-word synopsis
- What are the next stages of development? ie: Proof of Concept, Script editor, series bible, episode outline, legals
- Where does the project live on the ABC – what channel and time slot?
• What is the distribution pathway?
• Why should the project be considered by the ABC?
The Pitch Event
- Pitch-o-rama will run over a two-hour session at the Screen Makers Conference on Thursday 27th August 2020 from 10:00am – 12:00pm.
- Up to 10 projects will pitch for five minutes, and each project will then receive up to 5 minutes feedback from the panel.
The panel will consider the following in selecting the winning pitch:
a) Originality of the concept
b) Creative presentation
c) Development plan
APPLY FOR PITCH-O–RAMA – BY Monday 10th August 2020
Download a full copy of the Pitch-O-Rama Guidelines
Submit your Pitch-o-rama entry here.
Please note that winning Pitch-o-rama does not constitute a formal development agreement with the ABC. Nor does it offer any guarantee that the ABC will offer formal development upon completion or commission the project.